Pages

Saturday, June 20

Book Club

My friend, Andrea, had the great idea to start a book club. I've always wanted to be part of a book club (I'm a dork, I know), but never took the initiative to actually start one. The group is 6 ladies (including myself) and first met while I was out of town. They decided to start with My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I was thrilled because I looove Jodi Picoult. The first book I read of hers was Nineteen Minutes which is fabulous. I love the way she intertwines the legal system with social issues. She is a phenomenal writer and her books are what really got pushed my interest in law.

Last night we got together and really didn't talk much at all about the book that we had all read. It was great fun! One thing we all agreed on was that we can't wait to see the movie.

I liked the book. I thought it was slow moving in some places, but overall I was impressed (as usual) with Picoult. I'm not going to spill the beans about the book since some might want to read it or see the movie. I'll just say that it is very moving and for me as a mother to more than one child, it was eye-opening. The book does a good job of showing the consequences of focusing solely on one child and not on all the kids equally.

I look forward to our next meeting. We are going to be reading Jane Austen.

Classics, yay!

We are getting a compilation of all of her works. We will be starting with Sense & Sensibility and going on from there. I've always been interested in reading Jane Austen, especially after watching The Jane Austen Book Club and I'm sure we'll watch some of the movies that go along with the books. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't read any Austen or seen the movies. I have read other old English books though, not to worry.

I'm not that un-educated!


No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik